I am currently investigating the use of Puppet Enterprise and integration with CloudFormation in order to deploy infrastructure with Amazon EC2.
The below describes the steps to install Puppet Master on Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 LTS.
1) Download the Puppet Enterprise for the tarball specific to the Ubuntu operating system from http://info.puppetlabs.com/download-pe.html.
2) Extract the contents of the download.
3) Browse to the extracted folder in Step 2 and run the following from the Terminal with elevated root privelages:
4) You will be prompted to Install puppet master, enter (Y)es.
5)You will be prompted to Install the cloud provisioner, enter (Y)es
6) You will be promted to Install the console (the web browser interface), enter (Y)es
7) Accept the default values (FQDN) for the puppet master certificate for the puppet agent, select Enter.
8) Accept the default values for the puppet master certificate DNS aliases. select Enter.
9) Enter an admin email address for accessing the console interface and select Enter
10) Enter a password for the account created in Step 9 and select Enter. and confirm password.
11) Enter the name of your SMTP server and select Enter.
12) You will be prompted to install MySQL database server, enter (Y)es.
13) You will be prompted to install additional packages that have been detected for Puppet Enterprise from the operating system vendor repositories, select (Y)es.
14) You will be prompted to create symbolic links to the Puppet software executables in /user/local/bin, select (Y)es.
15) Confirm the installation components and select (Y)es to begin installation.
16) Once installation is complete the console can be reached at the following URL: https:<FQDN>:443