By default the VMware Update Manager patch repository location will be configured with the location ‘C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data’ in order to configure Update Manager to use and alternative location you will need to perform the following:
1) Stop the ‘VMware vSphere Update Manager Service’ service.
2) Browse the location ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager’.
3) Edit the file ‘vci-integrity.xml’ (preferably taking a backup copy first!) as below to specify the new location. In the example, I will be using ‘D:\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\’
<patchstore>D:\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\<patchstore>
Important: When specifying the patchstore location ensure the directory path ends with ‘\’.
4) Save the file.
5) Copy the contents from the previous location of the patchstore directory.
4) Start the ‘VMware vSphere Update Manager Service’ service.